• Glenn

Let's Convert Two Rooms Into one!

The notion of knocking a hole through a wall between two rooms to create one larger room is a popular trend. It offers greater flexibility, a magnified sense of space and can enhance natural light. The process involves knocking a hole through a wall of which the size and shape is determined by you (and what is structurally possible of course), inserting steel to support the structure where necessary, and finally making good.

1. Bypass Planning Permission. For normal (non-listed) properties, knocking through the wall between two rooms will not require planning permission.

2. Find a good builder. If you’re just going for a straightforward knock-through and you have a good idea of what you want, you may not need me. You will though need a good builder to carry out the work, find a reputable one in your area, ask your friends and family.

3. Consult a Structural Engineer. It is imperative that a Structural Engineer is consulted if the wall is a supporting wall. They will provide structural calculations to show what you’re doing structurally will replace what you’re taking out!

4. Notify Building Control. Very simple projects can be dealt with under a Building Notice which anyone can submit. If the alterations are a little more complicated then the second way is a Full Application, in which I can submit drawings on your behalf for approval. Either way, a Building Control Inspector will come periodically to agree that the key things have been done as per the Building Regulations.

Need further advice? Please feel free to contact me. Thanks, Glenn.

83 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All